Consider an executive who is recently promoted to a leadership position. Her career progression has been from being a brilliant technical expert to an effective project manager to a program manager, mentoring several project managers, delivering a lead, and becoming the chief technical officer of a Bengaluru headquartered Indian IT company. She operates from Bengaluru but travels all across the world to manage relationships with global clients. She has been influential in closing several large deals with clients by enabling client confidence in her delivery capabilities through her track record. But the high-performance brings with it the unsaid challenges of being a newly appointed executive.
Irrespective of their backgrounds, irrespective of their industries, irrespective of their geographies, senior executives face a similar challenge – the competencies that helped them attain that leadership position are not the same as those needed to be successful in that role. Maybe they need to raise the standard of their performance in the new role, which is more complex, and be better at delivering on them. Perhaps the new position requires a new way of thinking, a new set of skills, a new strategy, or more effective leadership skills. Maybe the organization is facing a crisis, and the new leader needs to manage that while also building the roadmap for the organization’s future success.
How can she ensure that she succeeds in her new executive role? The solution lies in Executive coaching. There are excellent executive, leadership as well as business coaches in Bengaluru who can enhance an individual’s ability to co-create a working space where everyone thrives.
Executive coaching is the proven method to deal with challenges and help a new executive be successful
Executive Coaching works as a powerful support for the executive by providing personalized, one-on-one development inputs promptly. She learns to find the solutions to her immediate challenges and starts building the foundations for sustainable long term success.
WHAT DOES THE EXECUTIVE COACHING PROCESS INCLUDE?
Step 1 of Executive Coaching: A Chemistry session and Goal Setting -
Step 2 of Executive Coaching: Deeper Exploration
Step 3 of Executive Coaching: Designing the Action Plan
How does Executive Coaching enhance performance and creates a successful future?
1. Selecting a coach
2. Contracting and Deciding on goals
- Clarifying goals, roles, and responsibilities: The executive and the coach must agree on the executive’s goals, performance goals, and developmental goals. They also need to decide what role either one will play and what they will be responsible for.
- The logistics of the coaching sessions: When and how the coaching sessions will be conducted? Today executive coaches can deliver coaching through face to face meetings, virtually online or through email or WhatsApp exchanges or a combination of these. Our CTO should consider her preferences and availability to receive executive coaching at Bengaluru or while traveling and talk to her coach about his choice and mutually agree on conducting the sessions.
- What kind of schedule works for both? How often should the executive coaching sessions be conducted and the executive coach’s availability at Bengaluru physically and virtually elsewhere?
- How will confidentiality be managed? During executive coaching our CTO will require her to reveal a lot about herself and her organization. Should her coach report her progress to her supervisor?
- How would fees and payment terms be managed? Do coaching services incur additional costs? Under what conditions are canceled appointments charged? What would be the next steps if the executive needs to discontinue the coaching engagement?
3. Assessments and Feedback
- Assesses strengths, weaknesses, gaps, and impact. The executive coach would help our CTO to assess herself using assessment tools and feedback from relevant stakeholders, as needed.
- Provides assistance interpreting feedback. Once the data from instruments and feedback are compiled, the coach can help her interpret the outcome and identify her development areas based on the competency gaps between her versus what she needs.
- Determines roadmap for success. Based on the identified developmental goals, the executive coach would help her create the directional roadmap to overcome her success’s competency gaps.
4. Development Planning
- Produces a detailed development plan. The executive coach helps our CTO develop her detailed learning plan and the actions she needs to take to achieve her learning goals. Whether they are taking courses, doing a project, or being mentored by an expert.
- Clarifies development process and progress benchmarks. Her coach also helps determine the timelines and benchmarks necessary to track her progress.
5. Stakeholder Engagement
- Gains commitment and support from stakeholders. She needs to ensure that her key stakeholders support her development plan. So, her coach would develop her plan to communicate and obtain buy-in for her plan.
- Builds agreement on developmental priorities. With her coach, she would work towards agreeing with her stakeholders on her development priorities.
- Develops critical mentoring relationships. Being mentored by more experienced and accomplished professionals is a great way to establish oneself. Her coach can help her find mentors and get into a mentoring relationship
6. Implementation and Ongoing Planning
- Practices new behaviors and troubleshoots obstacles. Once her plan is detailed, and buy-in is obtained from her stakeholders, she can work with her business coach to practice new behaviors necessary in her new role, identify potential obstacles, and overcome them.
- Tracks progress in developmental areas and measures outcome. She continues to work on her development goals and regularly meets with her executive coach to track her progress on her action plan and evaluate the results she has been able to obtain. If there is any shortcoming, she works out overcoming them with support from her coach.
The above six elements are essential for executive coaching to ensure success. As was in the case of the newly appointed CTO from Bengaluru, who created her plan and built her stakeholders’ support through executive coaching while at Bengaluru or while traveling across the globe to begin a successful global career
EXECUTIVE COACHING WITH REGAL UNLIMITED
“A Coach does not play the game, but s/he makes you WIN the game”
Regal Unlimited takes pride in having trained, qualified, ICF Credentialed, and Experienced Executive Coaches who can help your leadership and organizations to WIN in the marketplace. Regal Unlimited has the best pool of Executive Coaches in India, who have been there, and done that! They understand the challenges and concerns of executives and ensure the practical approach to coaching high-performing executives in India or Virtual Executive coaching across the world as well.
Executive Coaches from Regal Unlimited are the best in the category, with relevant experience of over 10 years as Leadership & Executive Coaches. Connect with the best Certified Executive Coaches here.
Write to us: firstname.lastname@example.org and ensure that you have the best Executive Coach handholding you towards your success!