How do leaders manage disruption? What makes a great leader? How relevant is disrupting your own self? What is role of executive coaching in leadership development? How can Executive Coaching help you in disrupting as a leader?
Read on to know the benefits of incorporating executive coaching as part of your leadership development program
WHO IS A LEADER?
There are several hundreds of definitions of leadership. One of my favorites is
“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.” – John Quincy Adams
While the collective consciousness has shifted, we are still stuck with the definitions, practices, tools and models of an earlier century. We borrowed some not-so-best practices from the military to the industrial revolution. Those approaches were relevant to an earlier era.
VUCA, Millennial/Gen Z, artificial/augmented intelligence, etc are the new realities. While everything else has shifted, is it not the time to shift leadership style also, aligned with the times?
EXECUTIVE COACHING CAN HELP YOU SHIFT YOUR LEADERSHIP STYLE
- Level 5 leadership by Jim Collins (‘Good to Great’) was perhaps ahead of time. Today executives need to demonstrate the Level 5 Quailties to stay relevant on the TOP. Once you become an Executive, the burden of performance and expectations weighs heavy. An Executive coach can be a non-judgemental and supportive partner on the top (where it gets truly lonely)
- Gandhi ji’s definition of a customer is more relevant when brands struggle to keep up with the customer expectations.
The customer is at the core of everything we do… internal & external customers.
EXECUTIVE COACHING CAN HELP LEADERS LOOK INWARDS
Some of my favorite concepts linked to leadership are, deeply spiritual:
- #IQ2EQ2SQ: The previous generation of leaders thrived on IQ. It has already shifted to Emotional Intelligence. Thanks to some great work in the area by Daniel Goleman and others. IQ to EQ is almost accepted as no more a choice, but the key to leadership, across all areas. Business, corporate to politics.
- But the future of leadership may belong to the Spiritual Quotient (SQ). With mindfulness seen as the key to managing people to managing self, SQ may hold key to the holistic success of future leaders. Brain research to neuroscience is shaking up all the beliefs and biases! An Executive Coach helps the leaders to look inwards & gain clarity!
- #I2We2He: It was considered to be a virtue to be selfish/focussed on I/Me/Mine, including my team. While the leadership is making a reluctant embrace of #I2We, the consciousness has perhaps shifted to #I2We2He! S/He here stands for the Divine & the manifestation of the Divine. And that includes Environment, Society, and Creation.
- Finally, it is what L-E-A-D-E-R may stand for!
L: Love for the Divine (S/He) and the manifestation of the Divine. Alternatively, just ‘love’. Unconditional love, as a state of being. Is that not all-encompassing? Unconditional Positive Regard I consider is a variant of the same.
Unconditional positive regard, a concept developed by the humanistic psychologist Carl Rogers, is the basic acceptance and support of a person regardless of what the person says or does, especially in the context of client-centered therapy.
E: Empathy, emotional quotient. It can also be a sincere, selfless eagerness to serve. Servant leadership could be more acceptable, with modifications. Just as Conscious Capitalism is gaining popularity. Capitalism was always meant to be conscious, not in its current format though?
A: Awareness: It has to be… all the focus on EQ & SQ is based on deeper self-awareness. Mindfulness exercises such as meditation, yoga, adult-coloring (a popular category on Amazon!), music, dance, tai-chi, are all variants of the same.
D: Discipline: Self & others. Personal & professional. At all levels. In an era where there are so many distractions, good, old discipline is key to success as a leader. It is also about my discipline in matters related to my work & life – time management, eating habits, sleeping habits (Huffington has been championing this), wellness,
E: Efficiency, Effectiveness, Competence: These are all same at a deeper level, in spite of how management jargon looks at it differently
R: Readiness to face the challenge: VUCA is much-hyped. We have got used to it as a way of life. Just as we get used to situations? Disruption is a way of life. We are anyways either disrupting or being disrupted, whether consciously or unconsciously. Better to make a choice? Disruption is scary, lonely too. Be comfortable with that 🙂
EXECUTIVE COACHING CAN AMPLIFY LEADERSHIP
‘Disrupt yourself’ as Whitney Johnson just said at @WBECS2017
At the core of all leadership is PEOPLE. Unconditional Positive Regard, or still better, ‘Unconditional Love’, would be very powerful, at a very holistic level.
Are leaders born, or made? Nature Vs Nurture?
I definitely think it is Nurture. That being the case, how do we nurture our leaders? Old fashioned Training, Mentoring or Guiding? Or the age old, but now almost forgotten Coaching. Coaching was always there. Look at any Master, Teacher, Guru or Avatar. We are just re-discovering.
COACHING TAKES LEADERSHIP TO A HOLISTIC LEVEL
Other methodologies ignore the part of a person, the entire being, who is outside work. Not coaching. We are not merely what we are at work. My sense of identity was what I did, for a long time. Till I realized, ‘it was the biggest Maya‘! It was more important to do anything from a state of Being.
Leadership from a state of Being can be powerful, transformational & beautiful!
GET IN TOUCH WITH THE BEST EXECUTIVE COACHES FOR YOUR LEADERSHIP NEEDS
“A Coach does not play the game, but s/he makes you WIN the game”
Regal Unlimited takes pride in having trained, qualified, ICF Credentialed and Experienced Executive Coaches who can help your leadership and organizations to WIN at the marketplace. Regal Unlimited has the best pool of Executive Coaches in India, who have been there, done that! They understand the challenges and concerns of executives and ensure practical approach to coaching high performing executives in India or Virtual Executive coaching across the world as well.
Connect with the best Certified Executive Coaches here.
Subash CV is the author of this blog and a Leadership & Executive Coach since 2012. Connect with him by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org
Get in touch to know more about the best Executive Coaching Certification here. Not yet sure if Executive Coaching can benefit your organization, then make an informed decision by reading here. This blog should give you the importance of Certified Executive Coaching in India.