Some valuable insights:
- An elevator speech is a pre-planned 30-second-to-two-minute response to the question “so what do you do?”
- Cliff Suttle, author of The Anti-Elevator Speech (someone has actually written a book on ele. pitch?!)
- What is the objective?“The goal of networking is not to gather sales leads, but to start business relationships and that begins with a conversation, not a sales pitch,” says Suttle.
- will have people clamoring to speak with you – Wow, that is the dream-level !
Four tips :
- Hook: a short statement, designed to usurp their attention – even a bit ‘confusing’ ok !
- Silence : Silence is the ultimate tool – the pause! Just wait for the person to get curious/confused and seek clarification – ‘hook is useless without the silence thereafter’
- Reel them in : slowly, keep the suspense
- Serve, Don’t sell: We should never, ever sell… only ‘serve’ .